ELI5: Explain Like I'm 5

Mushroom poisoning

Mushroom poisoning happens when people or animals eat the wrong kind of mushrooms that can make them very sick or even cause death. Just like not all foods are good for us to eat, not all mushrooms are safe to eat. Some of them contain a dangerous substance called toxins that can hurt our bodies.

When you go out to pick mushrooms, it is important to be very careful and know which ones are safe to eat. Some of the dangerous mushrooms can look very similar to the edible ones, so it can be hard to tell them apart. If you eat the wrong kind of mushroom, you might feel sick right away or it could take a few hours to feel the effects.

The symptoms of mushroom poisoning can vary depending on the type of mushroom and the amount that was eaten. Some of the signs that someone might have eaten a poisonous mushroom include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, dizziness, and in severe cases, seizures and coma.

If someone eats a poisonous mushroom, it is very important to get medical help right away. In many cases, people who get treatment right away can recover from mushroom poisoning, but there is no specific cure or antidote for all types of mushroom poisoning.

To stay safe from mushroom poisoning, it is best to stick to buying mushrooms from the grocery store instead of picking your own. And if you do go mushroom picking, always make sure you know which ones are safe to eat and which ones are not. Always ask an adult to help you and never eat any mushrooms you find if you're not absolutely sure they are safe.