ELI5: Explain Like I'm 5

guttural r

Guttural r is the sound that some people make when they talk or sing. It's kind of like when you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth and then make an "Rrrr" sound. Some languages like French, German, and Hebrew have this type of sound, and people who speak these languages often make this sound when they talk. It can sound a bit gruff, but it is an important part of these languages.
Related topics others have asked about: